Beet, Red Kidney Bean, Apple & Garlic Greens Salad
The leaves of the young garlic plant are delicious in a soup or salad. They're taken from the field or garden about 2 months before harvest. Option: replace garlic greens with 2 cloves Ontario garlic, peeled and chopped fine.
- 500 ml Red kidney beans or one 19 oz can
- 250 ml Fennel cut into juliene (Shape of match sticks)
- 125 ml Corn
- 4 Medium Size Beets cut into 1/4' pieces
- 125 ml Garlic greens, chopped finely
- 2 Apples, cored and cut into 1/4' pieces Leave Skin on
- 45 ml Apple cider vinegar
- 125 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Juice of lemon
- 5 ml Salt
- 15 ml fresh crushed black pepper
- 5 ml Cayenne
- Wash beets and place into a saucepan, and fill with enough water to cover. Cover with lid. Bring to a boil, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cool. To peel the skin from cooked beets: Rub off the skin with a paper towel or with your fingers under running water. Beets can also be eaten with skin intact.
- While the beets are cooking prepare other ingredients and add to a large bowl, beets last. Stir ingredients, lifting from the bottom, until ingredients are mixed. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.