Butter Tarts with Black Garlic
- 450 gram Lard
- 2 ml Salt
- 950 ml Flour, sifted
- 1 Egg, Separated
- 240 ml Lemonade
- Zest of lemon rind
- 180 ml Brown Sugar
- 240 ml Corn Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 125 ml Unsalted butter, softened
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 15 ml Butter
- 15 ml Brown Sugar
- 1 ml Cinnamon
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and sliced
Other Fillings and Garnish
- 36 Pecan halves
- 90 ml Raisins
- 4 cloves Black garlic sliced
- 115 grams Dark unsweetened bakers chocolate
- Gently combine lard, salt and flour. Do not overwork.
- Beat egg yolk, add lemonade and lemon rind and whisk for a few seconds.
- Beat egg white until light and fluffy.
- Add yolk and lemonade mixture to the pastry, gently working it in.
- Add egg white and fold in.
- Form into ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While pastry is resting, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla and salt in stainless steel bowl. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt butter with brown sugar and cinnamon in saucepan on low heat.
- Add apple and cook until slices are soft.
- Roll out pastry and put in tart shells or muffin pans to desired thickness (¼-inch).
- Put 3 pecan halves on walls of each tart.
- Add 1 apple slice, 3 raisins and 1 black garlic slice to each tart.
- Fill tarts with butter/corn syrup mixture to edge. Do not overfill.
- Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) approximately 30 minutes.
- Let cool. Remove tarts.
- Melt chocolate and then use to brush edges of tart. Drizzle remainder over tarts if desired. Serve.