Dark Chocolate & Golden Roasted Garlic Ice Cream
Can be made with or without ice cream machine.
- 60 ml Bittersweet chocolate direct or fair trade
- 1 L Cream 10% fat
- 8 large Egg Yolks
- 125 ml Sugar
- 30 ml Pure vanilla extract
- 6 cloves Ontario garlic roasted and mashed
- Whisk to combine the chocolate and 1 cup of the cream in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining cream. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Slowly whisk 1/3 of the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar. Pour in the remaining cream mixture while continuing to whisk.
- Return the mixed ingredients to the saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and reaches 172 F (78 C). Add the garlic.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Strain to remove garlic pulp.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. Refrigerate for up to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 F (4 C) or below.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process for approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.
- To make without an ice cream machine: During freezing, every 30 minutes remove container from freezer, stir for 2 minutes, and return to freezer.