Fish Cakes with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- .22 kg Cod or other white fish, shredded
- 250 ml All-purpose flour
- 10 ml Baking powder
- 5 ml Sea salt
- 2.5 ml Paprika
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 2.5 ml Scotch bonnet pepper minced (or 1/4 tsp scotch bonnet pepper hot sauce)
- 2-3 cloves Ontario garlic finely chopped
- 45 ml Parsley finely chopped
- 2.5 ml Thyme finely chopped
- 45 ml Bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 Egg
- 125 ml Milk or water
- 250 ml Vegetable oil
- Shred fish, either by hand or in food processor, and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and paprika), and add onion, pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, bell pepper and egg.
- Mix ingredients with a whisk or fork, about 1 minute. Add milk/water gradually, while stirring.
- Set saute pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil, taking care to not let hot oil splatter. Try to drop batter in the shape of a ball, about 1" (2.5 cm) diameter. Fry for 3 minutes, turning once. Add more oil if necessary, allowing oil to heat up before adding more fritters.
- Drain fritters on paper towel to drain oil. Serve with parsley, lemon wedge and Homemade Tartar sauce.
For recipe for Tartar Sauce go to Tartar Sauce with Homemade Dill Pickle.