Five Ingredient Spaghetti Sauce
Use only locally grown, field ripened tomatoes and peppers.
- 30 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Green pepper finely chopped
- 2.5 kg Plum tomatoes locally frown, chopped
- 5 cloves Ontario garlic minced
- 10 ml Fresh thyme chopped
- 5 ml Kosher salt
- 5 ml Fresh ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour (the longer it cooks, the thicker it gets).
- Serve over pasta with fresh mozzarella or other cheese of your liking.
For a stronger garlic flavour add more garlic just before serving since garlic flavour will diminish with cooking. This has another advantage, since garlic that’s not heated for too long retains more of its medicinal properties. If desired, a bell pepper blackened on the grill or under the broiler, seeded and chopped and then added to the pan with the tomatoes, will impart a sweet, smoky flavour.