Seasoned Mushroom & Garlic Sauté
- 2.5 tbsp Unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Red onion halved and thinly sliced (Optional)
- 250 ml Garlic greens or garlic scapes thinly sliced (See note below)
- 453.59 grams Oyster mushrooms cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar or white wine
- 1.5 tbsp Fresh sage leaves minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh oregano leaves minced
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic greens and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are almost cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sage, thyme and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender but still firm, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Almost any meal would be well complemented by a mushroom sauté, especially when cooking with Ontario garlic! Using locally grown, in-season ingredients, try this simple summer dish with your next meal. Note: In late summer, when garlic greens and scapes are no longer in season, many varieties of fresh Ontario garlic are available. Substitute the greens or scapes with an equal quantity of leeks (white and light green parts only) and three or four minced garlic cloves.