Split Pea Soup with Smoked Ham Hock & Garlic
This soup alone makes a cold day worthwhile.
- 500 ml Green split peas
- 60 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium Onions chopped
- 2 medium Carrots chopped fine
- 2 stalks Celery chopped fine
- 60 ml Fresh parsley stems chopped fine
- 3 cloves Ontario garlic thoroughly crushed and chopped fine
- 0.8 kg Smoked ham hock pork knuckle
- 1 L Chicken stock or water or combination
- 15 ml Dried thyme fresh chopped
- 1 Chilli pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- 15 ml Fresh ground pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Submerge the split peas in water in a bowl, remove small stones.
- Heat oil in 5 litre (6 qt) saucepan set to low-medium heat. Add onions, and cook for 15 minutes, or until dark brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add additional water or chicken stock as required. Bring to boil and set to simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove ham bones to cutting board and cut meat and fat into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes and return to pot, include bone. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf. Add salt to taste – check first – the ham may provide sufficient salt flavour. If desired, add additional chopped garlic before serving.